ABOUT THIS POLICY
- We are committed to protecting your health, safety and welfare and that of all those who work for us by providing a safe place of work and protecting all workers, service users, customers and visitors from exposure to smoke.
- All of our workplaces (including our vehicles) are smoke-free in accordance with the Health Act 2006 and associated regulations. All staff and visitors have the right to a smoke-free environment.
- This policy does not form part of any employee’s or worker’s contract of employment or engagement and it may be amended at any time.
- If you wish to suggest improvements to the policy or experience particular difficulty complying with it you should discuss the situation with your line manager.
WHERE IS SMOKING BANNED?
- Smoking is not permitted in any enclosed or substantially enclosed premises within our workplace. The ban applies to anything that can be smoked and includes, but is not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, pipes (including water pipes such as shisha and hookah pipes), cigars and herbal cigarettes.
- No-smoking signs are displayed at the entrances to our workplace.
- Anyone using our vehicles, whether as a driver or passenger, must ensure the vehicles remain smoke-free. Any of our vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes are excluded from the smoking ban.
- When on a client site, the client’s own smoking policy will apply, and you must find out what that policy is before risking not complying with it.
WHERE IS SMOKING PERMITTED?
- You may only smoke outside in designated areas during breaks. When smoking outside, you must dispose of cigarette butts and other litter appropriately.
BREACHES OF THE POLICY
- Breaches of this policy by any employee will be dealt with under our Disciplinary Procedure and, in serious cases, may be treated as gross misconduct leading to summary dismissal.
- Smoking in smoke-free premises or vehicles is also a criminal offence and may result in a fixed penalty fine and/or prosecution.